Page 81 - Marlborough Living Nov/Dec 2019
P. 81

                 Contact us
Royds Withy King’s team in Marlborough provide specialist legal advice and guidance for those planning for later life as well as for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers. For any queries, contact Mandy Casavant at or by telephone on 01672 514 781.
Care Funding Guidance is a unique, free and not for profit guidance service to help families deal with care fees and options. For more information contact or freephone 0800 055 6225. | 81
6. Get your care paid for the first twelve weeks - some people can have their care costs met by the local authority for the first twelve weeks of care.
7. Deprivation of assets
This applies when you intentionally reduce your assets, such as money, your car, chattels, jewellery, property or income, so these won’t be included when the council calculates how much you need to pay towards care. This hemorrhaging of assets is seen as you taking steps to deliberately deprive yourself of assets to avoid a level of contributions towards care.
When the council is deciding whether getting rid of assets has been a deliberate deprivation, they will consider two things:
• You must have known at the time you got rid of your property or money that you needed or may need care and support.
• Avoiding paying for care must have been a significant reason for giving away your home or reducing your savings.
If you were fit and healthy, and could not have imagined needing care and support at the time of no longer owning the asset, then it may not count as deprivation. However,
if the local council thinks that you have deliberately reduced your assets, they may still include the value you no longer own when they do the means test and in this way there is the danger that assets will need to be “clawed back” from people who have received them, even if they no longer have
the benefit of them either.
8. Know the rules which apply where someone else remains living at a property when your relative goes into care.
If an adult only owns the home they live in, this is normally regarded as an asset but can be disregarded if it is occupied by a:
• spouse
• relative aged over 60
• disabled relative
• dependent child under 16.
9. Can I get the NHS to pay the care costs - in some cases it is possible to get the NHS to pay for most or all of your care home costs.
10. Speak to an expert - chat through your circumstances with someone who knows this field well and get a view on your options.

   79   80   81   82   83